SOCAR Petroleum

Extending to a national level, SOCAR Petroleum’s priority


SOCAR Romania is the representative of the oil and natural gas company owned by the State of Azerbaijan (The State Oil Company of Azerbaijan Republic), one of the best ranked oil companies in the world. State Oil Company of Azerbaijan Republic invests billions of dollars annually in transportation’s infrastructure and is involved in European level in projects designed to increase Europe's energy security through diversification of natural gas.

Since 2011, the company has been involved in Romania by SOCAR Petroleum SA, by creating and strengthening a network of gas stations nationwide. The company currently has a network 38 gas stations in Botoşani, Suceava, Neamţ, Iaşi, Bihor, Bistriţa, Buzău, Bacău, Brasov Vrancea, Timiş, Ilfov, Cluj, Vâlcea, Arad şi Sibiu and is one of the most important players on the fuel retail market. So far, the company has created in Romania over 500 jobs and investments carried about 64 million.

The next step is national expansion: gas stations placed in key traffic points, prepared to meet the Romanian consumers demands.

The national development plan includes, in a first phase, Romania's capital and the main county capitals in the country.

SOCAR Petroleum intention is to be close to all those who want to fuel their cars safely and to feel the traditional hospitality of Azerbaijan.

SOCAR Petroleum practices innovative services dedicated to Romanian consumers of fuel: all SOCAR Petroleum stations are equipped with digital kiosk sites for directing traffic drivers with free Wi-Fi. It also sells traditional products in Azerbaijan's Nar Café coffee sand and pomegranate juice, with a new product appeared in SOCAR gas stations, shaorma.

In its work, the company has strengthened collaboration with renowned partners whose confidence has been gained both by the quality of SOCAR products, internationally recognized and the dedication of staff to be close to customer needs.

The main activity, which had consistently accounted for over 90% of turnover is the retail sale of petroleum products through its own gas stations, the remaining 10% representing the auto transport services with  20 oil trucks and the income from renting their own property.

SOCAR Romania, the focal point of energy security projects


The State Oil Company of Azerbaijan Republic exists on the Romanian market and it is part of key European projects, meant to increase the energy security in Europe by diversifying the natural gas reserves.

Romania is linked at this point to Azerbaijan and SOCAR through two major energy projects: Nabucco and AGRI, designed to reduce the Romanian dependency towards the import of natural gas from Russia.

AGRI the interconnector Azerbaijan - Georgia – Romania

The AGRI project is aimed also at diversifying the energy supply sources of the European Union and involves the transport of Azeri natural gas to Romania and into Central Europe. AGRI involves the sale of Azeri natural gas on the route between Baku (Azerbaijan) - Kulevi (Georgia) – Constanta (Romania). The interconnection capacity is provided at 7 billion cubic meters of natural gas per year, of which 2 billion cubic meters will be consumed in Romania.

TANAP the route of Azeri gas on the Turkish sector

The TANAP project came to life after the conclusion of a partnership between Azerbaijan and Turkey which involved building an alternative pipeline for transport on the Turkish sector. The TANAP pipeline will stretch from Azerbaijan to the Turkish border with Bulgaria. Its initial capacity will be of 16 billion cubic meters per year: 6 billion cubic meters for Turkey and 10 billion cubic meters for the rest of Europe. The project is designed to gradually reach a capacity of 30 billion cubic meters and then 60 billion cubic meters.